Rumor no more. It is happening.Spider-Man, whose movie life belongs to Sony, will be joining the Marvel cinematic universe, which is owned by Disney.
Key things you need to know:
- Spider-Man will first appear in a Disney movie within the Marvel cinematic universe.
- The next stand-alone Spider-Man movie will be released by Sony on July 28, 2017. And though Sony is releasing it, it will be coproduced by Marvel Studios and its mastermind, Kevin Feige, and Sony’s former head Amy Pascal.
- The door is open to have characters from the MCU (Iron Man, Thor,and so on) appear in the new Spider-Man movies at Sony.
- Here’s the most important quote, from Kevin Feige: “Marvel’s involvement will hopefully deliver the creative continuity and authenticity that fans demand from the MCU. I am equally excited for the opportunity to have Spider-Man appear in the MCU, something which both we at Marvel, and fans alike, have been looking forward to for years.”
- Since Spidey will first appear in an MCU movie, and that movie will have to be released before July 28, 2017
These are the movies that Spider-Man could appear in before the July 28, 2017 timeline:
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – May 1, 2015
- Ant-Man – July 17, 2015
- Captain America: Civil War – May 6, 2016
- Doctor Strange – November 4, 2016
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2 – May 5, 2017
The Spider-Man joining the MCU announcement has also pushed out some upcoming movies’ release dates:
- Thor: Ragnarok – November 3, 2017 (was July 28, 2017)
- Black Panther – July 6, 2018 (was November 3, 2017)
- Captain Marvel – November 2, 2018 (was July 6, 2018)
- Inhumans – July 12, 2019 (was November 2, 2019)
Now onto the burning questions that we talked about earlier:
1. What Marvel Movie Will Spider-Man Appear in First?
We honestly don’t know, but if we had to place our bets it would be in Captain America: Civil War – May 6, 2016
2. Will Andrew Garfield Play Spider-Man?
No he won’t. Sad, but true. They’re apparently going with a younger version of Spidey, who will still be in high school.
3. Will it be Peter Parker or Miles Morales?
Our sense is that they could still use Peter Parker, but we’re hoping it’s Miles Morales.
4. Will we see the Iron-Spider?
We probably will. In some capacity, because it’s going to look amazing. If you’re introducing a character into an already star studded universe, you’d want to bring something special. So, it doesn’t really matter, if they’re going with Peter Parker or Miles Morales, Iron-Spider is imminent.
5. Are They Still Making That Sinister Six Movie?
Yes, but it will not happen right now. Spider-Man spinoff movies for Sinister Six, Venom and a female-driven movie are all still in the works. I’d like them to merge it into the MCU, but we’ll have to wait and see.
Let us know your thoughts on this. Did we answer your questions, or leave you will more? I’m guessing we left you with more. So stay tuned for all things Spider-Man only on The Game Druid!