Sad news indeed that Silent Hills may be cancelled. With key figures attached to the project taking it online with twitter to express the game’s demise. Polygon reached out to them for comment and the gist of what they got is that the game is “pretty much dead.”
Last night the director Guillermo del Toro, who had been co-directing the game with Hideo Kojima, is said to have told attendees at a film festival in San Francisco that Silent Hills “is not gonna happen,” according to an attendee via Twitter. Del Toro’s assistant retweeted that, and then made other comments indicating the project was being shelved.
Silent Hills was, with Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain one of only two console games actively under development to be published by Konami. Phantom Pain is due for a Sept. 1 launch. A third franchise, Pro Evolution Soccer, typically launches in the fall but its latest edition has not been announced.
Even Norman Reedus, the Walking Dead actor playing Silent Hills‘ protagonist, shared his reaction on twitter.
Super bummed about this was really looking forward to it. Hopefully it’ll come back around. Sorry everyone 🍕 http://t.co/drZJ8tBsSN
— norman reedus (@wwwbigbaldhead) April 26, 2015