The much awaited trailer is finally here! After our read out of what to expect from ‘Dawn of the Planet of the Apes’, we were super excited to watch the trailer. If you haven’t already seen it, you can watch the trailer below, but more importantly, we wanted to take you through the trailer and now show you what we expect.
The opening of the trailer suggests that it has been a while since the apes took over. A broken and beaten down forest area – which is probably a cover for the human settlement or a path or a remnant.
The next scene however shows humans scampering around while the there’s obviously a speech about a rebellion brewing – this is probably the calm before the storm. Then the humans are seen addressed by what is obviously their leader…and mind you…there are PLENTY of humans…very unlike what we predicted…and at this point we do see some street lights – so, looks like human civilization hasn’t gone back to the dark ages.
Anyway, at this point, it’s established that the story is 8 years after the events of the previous movie; where he says
“we spent 4 years fighting the virus and another 4 years fighting ourselves”
This is followed by the line….
“you know what we’re up against..”
at this point – the camera has shows a man standing in front a fort wall? a barricade? that had been powered through and left a hole – which I’m guessing was impossible to do, given his expression. Is this the forbidden zone?
The scene then cuts to giant redwoods where Caesar and his ilk have made their home/base – and he calls out
“I need to speak to Caesar.”
Now, let’s re-cap and see what we know so far, shall we?
1. We now know, all this is happening 8 years after the virus broke out.
2. It seems like Humans fought amongst themselves before fighting the apes.
3. Looks like Ape territory and Human territory was clearly demarcated.
4. There seems to be some sort of alliance between the apes and humans – some sort of protocol for communication.
5. There’s been a breach in the human settlement.
Now coming back to the breach – its still not certain who or what created that breach, the massive gaping hole through the barricade. Was it the apes? Was it a common enemy? Who could they be? Was it rogue humans? Is that why they’re seeking Caesar’s council?
After this, the scene cuts to what is easily the most spine chilling part of the trailer – An aged Caesar, with war paint adorning his face. As the camera zooms out, the return to the speech which continues
“it’s not about power, but about giving us the hope to rebuild and reclaim the world we lost.”
Does this mean the humans are planning to reclaim what is theirs? or are they planning to work together with the apes to figure out what happened and then fix it?
When the camera has zoomed out, you can see Caesar and the rest of the apes all ready for war – spears, war paint etc. and then you notice that Caesar is standing there waiting to give the sign to attack, which he does just as the trailer cuts to the release date and title.
The trailer does give us a lot of insights on where things are and were they’re heading, BUT leaving more questions unanswered than actually answering them…So you know the movie IS gonna be awesome! There are still a few things that are unclear –
1. Like the Mars Mission – there’s no reference to it in the trailer – but yeah, you weren’t expecting the whole movie in here right?
2. Unsure of who they’re still fighting, since the humans reference they’re fighting each other – unless ‘each other’ meant that Apes & Humans actually lived in peace? or TRIED to live in peace?
3. The breach is what I’d as the central point of the story – and in reference to the synopsis where ‘something breaks the fragile peace agreement’ – this could be just that.
Well, that’s our trailer breakdown, do let us know your thoughts as well. Can’t wait to watch the movie…Wait for it…July 2014. I’m pretty sure there will be more trailers coming our way..so stay tuned!